Martin Jonas is a premier South African corporate and club comedian as well as a top class Master of Ceremonies
He hosted the South African Music Awards live on SABC 2 for two consecutive years and has headlined the Heavyweight Comedy Jam.
He was featured in the South African Comedy Festival in Hammersmith, the SA Heavyweight Jam in London’s West End and several comedy clubs in the UK. He has performed at corporate functions in Mauritius, Namibia and Swaziland.
Martin Jonas, who was discovered at South Africa’s original real comedy club, Hysterix in Johannesburg, has impressed audiences with his novel style and pertinent observational humour.
He is South African to his fingertips and was one of the few performers to receive a standing ovation at the inaugural Smirnoff Mule Comedy Festival at the Baxter Theatre in Cape Town.
More on Martin Jonas
Is he funny? You better believe it! But there is a striking depth and intelligence to his dialogue that leaves you feeling that he is destined for big things.
Martin’s brand of comedy can best be described as observational, from where he has been known to wonder off into some very surreal territory.
Martin Jonas has always pursued career in live entertainment and Stand-Up in particular as the most direct route to connecting with an audience, and a live audience will always let him know when something is really funny.
His impersonations of famous people are also a treat if there was a contest to impersonate Arch Bishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, ‘The Arch’ himself would come second to Martin.
Martin Jonas’s novel style and insane observations about life in general and South Africa in particular has comedy fans screaming for more.
Delivered in English, Afrikaans, Tswana, Sotho and a smattering of Zulu, he appeals to audiences across the board.
Recent highlights include appearances for the South African Feedlot Association, the South African Civil Aviation Association, awards functions for Toyota and MMI Holdings and he was the MC at the Gauteng Provincial Legislature Golf Day for two consecutive years.
As a clever and topical comedian, he’s a firm favourite in the corporate market as both entertainer and as an MC. To liven up a dull crowd, you just can’t do better than the down to earth Martin Jonas.
• Martin Jonas came to prominence as the new kid on the block in Joe Parker’s First Farewell Tour in 1997.
• Toured the London Club circuit
• Hosted live broadcast of the South African Music Awards two years running.
• Warm-up act for The Jerry Springer Show
• Performed in The South African Comedy Festival, London
• Co-hosted four episodes of MNet’s It’s a Funny Country
• Performed on several Kingsize Comedy Shows
• Performed on several 5FM Heavyweight Jams
• Regularly does the South African Club Circuit
• Joe Parker’s Comedy Express Casino Circuit
• MC at various Rock Festivals
• Member of The Durban Poison Comedy Roadshow
• Has been interviewed and/or profiled on numerious TV and Radio shows and print publications
“funny in any language” – London Times
“Novel, exciting and heading for stardom” – Cape Times
“Legendary …” FHM